How Do I Create & Update a CAA Record
A CAA Record (Certification Authority Authorization Record) is a DNS record that is used for domains and websites which have been secured with an SSL certificate, to identify which Certificate Authority (CA) is allowed to issue certificates for a specific domain.
The CAA Record is obtained from the SSL Provider and will have the following standard formula:
Creating CAA Records
You can easily create a CAA Record using the free DNS tools in your Account Manager by following these instructions:
- Click Sign Up / Log In at the top of this page.
- Select Account Manager from the drop-down list.
- Enter your username and password, then click Log In.
- Click on the Visit My Account button.
- Click Domains from the top menu.
- Click on the Domain Name you wish to manage.
If you only have one Domain Name, you will automatically be redirected to its management page.
- Scroll down to the DNS Settings section.
- Click on the menu icon on the right and select Add Record.
- Select CAA Record from the drop-down menu and click Add.
- Set up the CAA Record obtained from your SSL Provider using the description below as your guide:
Flag This indicates whether the record is critical or not.
On the first drop-down menu, you can select 0 (not critical) or 128 (critical).
Tag This controls the issuance of the record.
On the second drop-down menu, you can set this to issue (for any type of certificate) or issuewild (for only a wildcard certificate).
Value This is a specific value associated to the CA that you wish to allow for the domain.
You can enter the remaining value obtained from your SSL Provider in the field provided.
- Click Update to save your new CAA Record.
CAA Records are applied immediately but may take up to 2 hours to propagate across the Internet. If you have created your CAA Records and have seen no change, please wait for this propagation. Otherwise, it is advised that you contact our 24/7 support.
Congratulations! You just learned how to create & update a CAA Record.
Fantastic...Thank you for your feedback =)
Sorry... Please submit a support ticket or try another search.
Support ticket has been sent to your email, please check for your ticket id.
- What Is a CAA Record
- How to Create Child Name Servers
- How to Bulk Update All Domain Names
- How to Update a Name Server's IP Address
- How to Obtain the Domain EPP Code